Friday, November 12, 2010

MRI Update

I wish I had some cute stories about this trip to Temple. But it was fairly uneventful. And I guess that's probably a good thing sometimes. We made it right on time..we were cutting it close because I was starving and had to stop and get lunch on the way. So then the whole drive over I was frantic, thinking we were going to be late. But we made it right at 12:30. Of course all that didn't really matter because they didn't bring us back until after 1. Gotta love that. We talked to the sedation nurse and she went over the IV process with us. She said she was going to get her supplies and when she came back we were going to get started. We were under the impression that when she inserted the IV that they were going to go ahead and give him the sedation medicine.

And we were wrong.

We held him while they inserted the IV and she taped it all up so the cords weren't hanging. She injected some liquid into it so we thought that was the dopey meds. I asked how long it would take for him to fall asleep. She said "Oh, this is just something to keep the IV from clotting. The dr is going to come in and talk to you about the sedation before we do that."

Little did they know, this was not the best course of action. Brody is a champ at getting his blood drawn, needles poked in him, etc. But having to leave that thing in his arm was not an option to him. He was not happy about it at all. We were pretty frustrated that they didn't just wait to do that until the dr had talked to us and we were ready to do it all at once. He was crying and trying to pull it out while we waited for the doctor. We finally got him to calm down by blowing up a rubber glove and tying it off and acting like it was a chicken. We looked like a couple of nuts in that room, but it was all worth it.

When the doctor came, Matt took Brody in the hall so I could hear her talking. When Matt and Brody came back in, Brody showed me that he was Buzz Lightyear with his IV in his arm. He was pointing his arm out and shooting lasers like Buzz. A few seconds later, the doctor injected the sedation medicine in the IV. And a few seconds after that, Brody was out. He went from talking about Buzz, to his eyes rolling, to his head slumped on Matt's shoulder all in about 10 seconds. It was quite humorous, yet scary  how fast it worked.

They took him away to the MRI and we waited for an hour. When we were brought back to see him after, he was still sound asleep on the stretcher. When he woke up about 20 minutes later, it was like he woke up from a nap and never knew he had been in a drug induced sleep. The whole drive home he was happy and talkative.

This was such an answer to prayer. I was more concerned about the sedation than anything else. And it went smoothly and he wasn't phased by it.

And what you're all waiting to hear....we got the MRI results today...and they were perfectly normal!! Praise God! So this means there is nothing in his back like a tumor or mass that is preventing his nerve signals from being sent to his legs.

So what's next? More waiting and testing. We're trying to get the nerve conductive study (where they sedate him again and shock his nerves) scheduled. Until then..we wait and pray.


Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a note! We love hearing from you!