Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hello 2010


We would have sent out this New Years card if we would have all been well and able to take good photos at Christmas. Plus, I ran out of energy after the holidays and sending birthday invites. So here's the digital version.

I think I'm writing this post mainly for myself. I don't really care if anyone actually reads it. Sometimes, I just need to type my thoughts out for myself. So, with that said, this may get pretty long.

I am so excited its 2010. I was ready for a new year. We had a lot of highs and lows in 2009.

Some highs:

The birth of our beautiful second son, Carson.

Really seeing our photography business take off.

Growing closer to our "new" church family and really understanding the meaning of service and community. (We still attend the same church, LHBC, but we started 2 new churches and many families left to attend those churches. So our church family looks different and is new to us.)

Some lows:

Finding out that Brody had some walking difficulties. Going through numerous doctor appointments, physical therapy, and finally being prescribed braces for his legs. (Hopefully we'll get those any day now.)

Really, that's the only low that comes to mind. I guess it seemed like many lows because it has taken so much of our physical and emotional energy. I know its going to be a long road ahead now as we deal with the new struggles that come along with Brody wearing braces. But we know God is in control of this situation, no matter how hard it gets.

So..on to 2010.

This year I want to do things differently. In 2009, I realized I was constantly comparing myself. Comparing myself to other mothers, mostly. Feeling like I wasn't doing something right because Brody wasn't as perfectly disciplined as other children seemed. Or I wasn't as good of a mother because I let Brody have chocolate in his milk sometimes. Or have a pop-tart for breakfast. Other mothers never let their kids watch tv or have a popsicle as an afternoon snack. I was constantly beating myself up because I wasn't a perfect mother whose child always ate the vegetables that were put in front of him and never acted out. And this year, I'm going to get over it.

We all know what's best for our own children. Yes, he needs vegetables. And he doesn't need junk food all the time. And I would much rather him color or play with toys than sit in front of the tv. But I've come to realize that its ok if he has treats on occasion. And if watching one 30 minute episode of Little Einstiens gives me 30 uninterrupted minutes to spend with the Lord, then great!

So, I'm over it. I'm going to strive to be an organized, disciplined mom who makes healthy, quality choices for her children. But, there is a time for convenience sometimes. A while back, Kendra had this on her blog.

"Realizing (again) and rejoicing in the blessings of motherhood...

There's a time for checking things off the to-do list
and there's a time for avoiding the composition of one


There's a time for delectable dinner preparation
and there's a time for leftovers


There's a time for spotless floors, toilets and tubs
and there's a time for letting the crumbs fall where they may


There's a time for frugal living
and there's a time for convenience


There's a time for washing hair
and there's a time for ponytails


There's a time for going places
and there's a time for staying in


There's a time for growing up
and there's a time for staying little..." 

It really reminded me that day (and today) not to compare myself to other wives and moms. Even if every single day their home and children are perfect (though I highly doubt that's the case), it doesn't matter. I should not base my standards on what other women think, but instead on what God says my standards should be.  I think its wonderful to get advice and wisdom from other mothers, believe me. But when things don't turn out for me exactly like it might for these other women, I need to be ok with that and work to find a way that does work for my family.

So, with that being said, this year I want to be more intentional as a mother. Be productive in the time that I have with my boys. There's days that I find myself just counting the minutes until nap time, instead of enjoying the moments I have with them. Brody loves having a playmate and I want to embrace that. I want to teach him, read with him, create with him, imagine with him. Matt and I want him to know God's love and mercy. We want him to know God's demand for obedience. So during our time together during the day, I want our activities to show these things.
__________________________________________________________________



I have plans and ideas of ways to make changes in areas such as time management, grocery shopping and other areas of my daily life. My ultimate purpose should be to glorify the Lord in all that I do. And I want to fulfill that purpose. And while I work on these things, I have to keep reminding myself that if I try something and it doesn't work, to try something different. Not to feel like I've failed. And that its ok to not be perfect. 

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."


 I'm sure I'm not the only person who reflects back on the previous year and thinks of ways to do some things different. I guess that's why the neighborhood is full of people walking or running at the beginning of the year and we slowly see less and less runners a couple months in. All those New Years resolutions that slowly fade away. So lets not make New Years resolutions, but instead attainable goals that will bring us closer to God and as a family.

We wish you a happy and blessed 2010!! 

1 comment:

  1. Love you Palermo family! I hope you are all healthy today! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving us a note! We love hearing from you!