Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Babies, Hospitals and Bedrest ...Oh My!

I'll try to give a brief synopsis of what's going on for those who haven't heard much. I'll try to keep it short for those who already have heard what's going on and then I have a few updates that I haven't had a chance to tell anyone.

Here's an email I sent out to a few people on Sunday:

"hey friends, i know some of you have heard or seen messages on g-chat about us being in the hospital so I wanted to update. I started having contractions about 10 last night (saturday). I was awake all night pretty much with steady, painful contractions. We came to the hospital about 9:30 Sunday morning. I was on the monitor all day and my contractions were always about 5-10 minutes apart. Some were extremely painful (I seriously thought I needed an epidural at one point) and others were just steady, uncomfortable tightening. They checked my cervix early in the day and I was still closed but was starting to efface but they never told me a percentage. They started me on some medicine to stop the contractions but it hasn't worked yet. I've had one round of steroids for Carson's lungs and will get another dose tomorrow. Nothing has really changed since we've been here...Its 10pm and I'm still having steady contractions. Fortunately Carson is still doing great in there. I'll see hopefully my dr in the morning and then they will do a test to see if it looks like I will go into labor within the next 2 weeks. I get my second dose of the steroid in the afternoon and as long as things don't look worse I'll go home...and be on bedrest for the rest of the pregnancy more than likely. So right now we're praying that things don't progress so that Carson will stay where he is and get stronger."

Then this was the update I sent it on Monday:

"Update...My dr wasn't making rounds this morning bc she only works a couple days a week. So Dr. Price came to check on me. Apparently now, I have to stay another night and not go home until tomorrow. I know that he talked to my dr so maybe those are orders from her? I'm not really sure. He kept telling me I have to keep this baby in for 3 more weeks..which will get me to 34 weeks so I guess they're being very cautious. My contractions slowed down and I was able to sleep last night and have only had a few bouts of bad ones today. So hopefully things are looking better. This afternoon I get my steroid shot and the fetal fibronectin test to see if I'm going to go in labor soon and then I guess I'll just be waiting and resting here. My mom is in town and will be here all week to take care of Brody and feeding us. I guess when I'm discharged (hopefully tomorrow) they'll give me my final orders on bedrest and everything. We're still planning on having the shower on Friday..I'll just stay in a chair the whole time haha." currently..its Tuesday. I saw my dr this morning and we sat and talked about all that's going on. She was obviously concerned about all that had been going on, but was relieved that my contractions have slowed down. I still have random bouts of strong, intense contractions but it seems that the medicine is holding them off a little. So I got to go home about 9:15 this morning. Of course I'm on strict bedrest for the next 3 weeks to make sure he doesn't come before 34 weeks. The more active I am, the more intense my contractions get and the greater chance my body will start progressing towards labor. I'll see my dr every week from now on so I will be monitored closely.

So now we're in the praying, waiting, resting mode. I'll be on the couch for 3 weeks trying to explain to Brody Boy why I can't pick him up. He can only snuggle with me. My mom will be here all week and my awesome sis-in-law is coming next week. For week 3, we'll probably try to make arrangements with friends and family to watch Brody some days.

So there's a good chance that in a month we could have another sweet boy in our home. But as excited as I am to meet him, I want him to stay put as long as he needs to. Babies born after 34 weeks are far less likely to have breathing and developmental problems. And even though Brody was born at 35 1/2 weeks and was perfectly healthy, we have noticed small things developmentally that are delayed. Nothing drastic but just small things that he would probably be a little further along in if he were full term. But he'll catch worries there. As long as baby Carson is healthy when he's born, we can handle him not walking at 12 months.

I guess that's all there is to update on right now. If anything changes we'll let you know. Thanks for all the prayers and offers to help out. We'll definitely be making calls to take you up on that soon.


  1. Thank you for updating. I have been praying for you and baby carson. Also for your doctors to have wisdom on what to do. I wish I was closer to help out. I will keep praying! Love you!

  2. Glad to know so that I can pray as well! Sorry we won't see you at the pool, but glad that Carson will stay put for a little while longer!!!!
    Please let me know if I can help in any way!!!

  3. Hey Grayson was term and at 16 mon, he still isn't walking. Babies will just walk when their ready. Carson, I pray you stay put for a little while longer. Love you guys, take care.~ The Amy's


Thanks for leaving us a note! We love hearing from you!