Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Chore Charts

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen the recent flourish of chore charts. We want to teach our boys responsibility, even at almost 3 and 4.5. We want them to know they are expected to clean up after themselves, as well as help with other chores around the house. I realize that young boys would rather be doing many other things, but we know this is what's best for them in the long run. (Plus it gives this momma a little help around here!)

So I'm on the prowl for a great chore system. I know I could just tell them "do this, or do that" and they should obey. But I'm also for making it fun as well! We've learned that our kids thrive on routine and structure. Whether its telling them that "when the big hand is on the six, its bed time" or that "when the timer goes off, its your brother's turn with the game," they respond well and understand what's expected when there's a visual explanation. I'm no early childhood expert, but I've definitely learned a lot about what makes children (at least my children) tick over the last 4.5 years. So I really think having a list to check off or choosing a task from a bowl would make the kids excited about helping out each day.

Thanks to Pinterest, I found quite a few ideas that have my wheels turning. I'll create my own in Photoshop of course, but we all get our ideas from somewhere. Here are few that peaked my interest....I have included the source link to all of them so if you are interested in them, please check out the blogs that originally posted them.

This one seems the most practical and simple. Easy to follow and we can check off as the boys complete them. 

(source)
This one used some other pieces and were velcro-ed on to a main page for each day. I think that's a little more complicated than I want to deal with..however, I do love that there are images. Our boys can't read so the visual reminder would allow them to understand each task.

 (source)
I think this idea is so cute. Each task is on a clip and you move the completed ones to a different rod, or flip them over. However, it may not be practical for our space. But I'm pondering over it...
(source)
And this last one is really on here because I think its cool...but it would never work in my home. Those ping-pong balls would be all over the house, creating yet one more chore to complete. I have seen this with popsicle sticks in a jar which seems much more practical. 

Hopefully I'll have our new system worked out in the next few days and can share with you. If we go with a paper form, I'll even share the printable so you can try it out yourself. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a note! We love hearing from you!